Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tea on Tuesday







I watched the Inaugural with my dog. We thoroughly enjoyed it - listening intently to the speech while I sipped my Lemon Lift tea.

The poor doggie kept asking me, "When is he going to say something about giving us more dog parks? How about those crummy leash laws? When is the organic dog food going to taste as good as the doggie junk food? And liberty and justice for all - dogs?"













All kidding aside, there were a couple of things that really stood out for me - The Speech (of course), the song by John Williams, and the benediction by Rev. Joseph Lowery .... I loved what the Rev had to say, his speaking style and his sense of fun at the end.

Here are the words to "Simple Gifts" from which John Williams adapted his song ....

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning we come 'round right.

-Elder Joseph Brackett 1848


2 comments:

Odd Chick said...

I received your very special gift. Check out my posts for today. This blogging friendship means more to me than I can understand or relate and to have something to hold- for real- that you made makes you a real person, a real friend.
I'm so excited about you having an art journal and your first entry symbololized so beautifully the dream speech of Martin Luther King - I wish I had thought of it!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute dog!!!!!One of my favorite things to do - hot cuppa tea, tv, and a warm dog!!!