Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What is in your tea?



I have a loose tea that I just love. It's called, "French Blend - Special." As I was shaking it out the other day I noticed the odd bits of things in it ..... on closer look I could see that it has rose petals, lavender buds, and another purple petal - perhaps echinacea (purple coneflower). I wondered what qualities these added ingredients would have .... granted, one cup of tea would have a very small amount .... but they were not added for no reason at all. There must be a history of herbal lore behind it.

Echinacea
works to increase the activity of the immune system by stimulating white blood cells, which attack the viruses and bacteria that lead to illness or infection. Echinacea is also every effective in treating respiratory ailments like colds. Some research has found Echinacea to be effective as an antiviral or antifungal, which also helps it fight infection. Echinacea can also be used externally to treat skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.

Lavender
primarily used in connection with insomnia, anxiety, depression, and mood disturbances. This is due to recent and past studies showing lavender's effectiveness in producing calming and soothing effects in those who use it.

Rose Petals
Roses soothe heart and emotions. They also balance the mind. The reasons for the diuretic effects of the roses are they contain Vitamin C, pectin, malic and citric acids. Rose tea: can provide relief from sore throat, runny nose and blocked bronchial tubes; is useful to those prone to chest problems by fighting against infection; also fights infection in the digestive tract and re-establish the normal bacterial population of the intestines; relieves fluid retention and hastens the elimination of wastes through kidneys; has an uplifting effect on the nervous system and can relieve insomnia, depression and fatigue

Thank you for coming over for tea today!
If you have "Tea on Tuesday" over at your blog today, I'd love to know about it!
I hope you're having a sweet Tuesday
in or out of the garden
with or without tea
...cheers!

7 comments:

Nettie Edwards said...

Hello Kimmie! As you know, I'm a big fan of tea "with bits in" but it makes me smile to think how as a child, I would make a fuss about "bits" in my drinks, especially orange juice. Now, the added bits are a selling point for me! Right now, I'm enjoying my favourite Neal's Yard tea that has the contents of an entire garden in it, along with oat cakes, peanut butter and Marmite. YUM! Have a glorious afternoon x

Anonymous said...

Good day Kimmie, I am joining the party today with "Perfect Peach" from Bigelow. I got to reading the ingredients and marvel at what goes into the morning ritual! I loved your pictures today. Enjoy- Christen
http://1creativeone.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/tea-for-tuesday-3/

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

Your tea sounds delicious! I am more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker. It seems to me, that tea always taste better when someone else makes it.:)

Beautiful post!

ooglebloops said...

Wonder if I could dry and make tea from my echinacea- there are so many different types out there - I am leery if I don't know exactly!! Been harvesting the still blooming lavender - lavender syrup in my tea every day, wands, and sachets- it does have a calming effect.............

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

all beautiful and useful plants, your loose tea certainly IS attractive!
I got carried away with peaches for my tea post ;)
Happy Tea Tuesday and Brightest of Blessings All Ways! oxo

Terri Kahrs said...

Oh, Kimmie! I was so busy today, I missed daytime tea! So . . . I'm popping in tonight to catch up on what I've missed, and enjoying a cup of decaf English Breakfast.

Love all of the magical and fabulous "little bits" and "goodies" in your tea. Beautiful post!

BTW, thanks for the chuckle! I love the idea of watercolors and Prismacolors in the morning makeup kit! *giggle* You cracked me up! Thanks, I needed it! :)

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

I love it! The tea was scrumptious enough, but the lore and the photos make it irresistible. Lovely, lovely post and yes, I will join you for tea.