Monday, September 23, 2013

pocket gems

I have a small collection of mini tintypes
they're called pocket gems
I think they're the selfies of a hundred years ago


they were the original photo booth pictures
tintypes that were pocket sized and made for trading between friends
the camera had several lenses so that in one sitting you would end up with 8-12 of these darlings 


so what to do besides collect them?
make art of course
... the fun kind ...


an altoids tin shrine
what I like to call "jewelry for your wall"


ingredients:
barbecued altoids tin
steel tooth zippers
old book cover
sari silk ribbon
book text
dried hydrangea
beeswax
beach glass
solder

7 comments:

Ms. said...

These are GREAT...and the wall jewels delightful(especially love 'barbecued Altoids tin)--wouldn't a pair make fascinating earrings.

amy of studio four corners said...

I have not seen these pocket gems before - and they are gems! you took it to the next level with your artistic flair and storytelling ability...love it...

Lisa Graham said...

I LOVE those little pocket gems and your creativity with them is amazing Kim. Every time I visit your blog I am reminded that I still have beeswax to play with. I tried the photo transfer after you posted your tutorial and it came out just okay. I need to try it again!

Halle said...

So cool! I love how your mind works.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. YOU are so inventive Kimmie.....what a great collection. I don't think I have seen one before. xox

Caterina Giglio said...

so clever, the zipper is genius!!

*jean* said...

i have never seen one of those before...so very, very cool! love how you have assembled everything in the bbq tin! beautiful, as always...

jean